Monday, August 24, 2009

Of Jellyfish, expatriation and Washington DC

Voila. On a Monday well past noon, when I should be at work. Work!
Instead I've been in bed jumping from a twit to another and asking myself if it was worth leaving Paris and seven weeks of vacation for an office in DC that's, to say the least, not very "rock'n'roll," (like we say in French). And don't even start me on my number of days off.

My family, or at least my cousin Beber, the best versed in anything remotely computer-related, has been pushing me to start a blog. "So that we can see where you live, what you're up to,etc..."
Sorry kiddo (yes I call kiddo my 6'1 cousin, I'm the oldest of that side of the family after all!), but last thing I want is to post pictures of me and Lumberjack smiling on a beach of New Brunswick, as nice as it was. And forget the French, too. I might as well try to write in the language of the country I live in, as far as training goes. It looks like family will have to make do with Skype, which my mother loves anyway. Looking at her and dad giggling while trying to set up the camera the other day was more touching that my sighing impatiently showed.

So what is it that I want to do with this blog? Keep a trace of my return to America, almost nine years after I graduated here? Yes. Vent a bit when officials and colleagues make the day too absurd? Absolutely. Force my friends to practice their English? Pourquoi pas? (At this stage I am wondering if I even want my friends to read this blog).
But one reason I am doing this is also because I hope it will nudge me to discover DC more than I would have otherwise. Force myself to make the extra effort to meet people outside my natural circle. And then report about it.

Jellyfish like caves, didn't you know? And I like taking my time on a weekday. So here we go. I hope I get a little support so that laziness, or the every day life, won't take over.

2 comments: